2020 BSA Reunion is Canceled

Dear Big Safari Family and Friends,

As I reported last week, in light of the COVID-19 national emergency, the BSA Board met to discuss the Reunion scheduled for next month.  Since that meeting, we have been working with the Hilton La Jolla to cancel/postpone our current contract.  Fortunately, we have come to an agreement that will, without financial penalty, allow us to cancel our current contract.  There will be NO Reunion in April of 2020.

That said, we do not yet have details on the when and where of the next reunion.  As soon as we have the new place and time, we will get the announcement out to the Association.  I am sorry that we are forced to postpone our 2020 Reunion, but I’m even more sorry about the circumstances, facing our country and the world, that made this decision necessary.  

Please be safe. I ask that you take a few minutes as soon as possible to cancel your personal room reservations with the Hilton La Jolla hotel. Reunion registrations will be refunded but may a few days as we work through the process to process all the refunds.

Finally, I want to thank our great planning team for everything they did for us for the planned reunion in San Diego.  Sue McKechnie, Brian Raduenz, Kimberly Kochergen, Paul Stewart and Ian Young have been terrific, and had planned a great Reunion for us.  I can’t thank them enough.  

We are lucky to have such generous people!

Again, be safe, and all the very best,

Mike Meermans
President

BSA Reunion COVID-19 Update

Like all of you, the Big Safari Association Board is acutely aware of the COVID-19 situation.  And, out of an abundant sense of caution, we convened an emergency teleconference of the Board Members several days ago to discuss the upcoming Big Safari Reunion.   Based on that call, we began discussions with the Hilton La Jolla Hotel leadership about our contract with the Hotel.  Our intent was to determine the responsible next steps that would best result in the safety and well-being of all BSA Members and Hotel staff.  Yesterday, we sent them a formal letter of request based on that conversation.  We have not yet received a reply to our letter, but expect that soon.  As soon as we have their response, we will notify you all of any decisions moving forward.  Until we send out that notification, I would respectfully ask that you not contact the hotel directly.